How can a belt help me when I'm lifting weights?

Weight belts can help prevent abdominal and lower back injuries when lifting. The belt gives the abdominal muscles something to push against when lifting, which decreased the chances of a hernia occurring. If you have a previous back injury, weight belts can provide some slight prevention of reinjury.

However, the key to preventing weight lifting injuries is proper lifting techniques, and weight belts should not be used as a safety cushion or a substitute for good lifting techniques.

(This answer provided for NATA by the Washington State University Athletic Training Education Program.)

Continue Learning about Strength Training & Exercise

4 Reasons to Strength Train as You Age
4 Reasons to Strength Train as You Age
Regular exercise is vital to health at any age, but especially as we get older—and become more prone to joint and muscle stiffness, and orthopedic inj...
What is strength training?
David Slovik, MDDavid Slovik, MD
Technically, strength or resistance training takes place any time your muscles face a stronger-t...
Easy At-Work Exercises for Nurses
Easy At-Work Exercises for NursesEasy At-Work Exercises for NursesEasy At-Work Exercises for NursesEasy At-Work Exercises for Nurses
No time for the gym? Tone trouble spots during your shift with these moves.
"No Pain, No Gain" Doesn't Apply to Strength Training