What is Essure?

Kevin W. Windom, MD
OBGYN (Obstetrics & Gynecology)
An Essure is a new office procedure that is used for permanent female sterilization. This is a procedure where the patient is brought into the office and a speculum is placed into vagina and then a small hysteroscope is placed in through the cervix and into the uterus. The uterus is then distended with fluid and the opening to the fallopian tubes are visualized. A small nickel-containing coil is placed in each fallopian tube to help block or occlude the fallopian tubes. After the procedure I ask my patients to use a backup form of contraception for 3 months. Then I have my patients have a hysterosalpingogram performed to see if the tubal scarring has occurred around these coils and to see if the fallopian tubes are blocked. This procedure carries an excellent sterilization rate and is a very good alternative to the traditional tubal ligation.

Continue Learning about Sterilization (Birth Control)

How is no-incision sterilization done in women?
Lauren Streicher, MDLauren Streicher, MD
Today, there are new "no incision" sterilization options that can be performed in a doctor's office ...
How often do women get surgery for permanent contraception compared to men?
Women willingly accept years of contraceptives, pregnancies, labors, deliveries and post-partum's. Y...
What are non-surgical options for female sterilization?
What is hysteroscopic sterilization for permanent birth control?
Southern Hills HospitalSouthern Hills Hospital
Hysteroscopic sterilization is a new technique that requires no incisions.