Why does trichomoniasis receive so little attention compared to other STDs?

Because trichomoniasis is very common and causes significant risks to women's health, you would expect to see more interest in its prevention. There are several reasons why this sexually transmitted disease (STD) has received so little attention.

First, its symptoms -- primarily discharge and irritation of the vagina and urethra -- are mild and have been seen as troubling but less serious than the side effects of other STDs.

Second, the most common treatments -- metronidazole and tinidazole -- are highly effective in most women, though some difficulties can arise, such as drug allergies, drug intolerance or the parasite Trichomonas becoming resistant to this class of drugs. No other class of drugs is very effective for treatment.

Continue Learning about STDs

Dr. Diane Harper - Could I have human papillomavirus (HPV) even if my pap test was normal?
Dr. Diane Harper - How Are Human Papillomaviruses (HPV) Infections Detected?
Dr. Diane Harper - What are the symptoms of human papillomavirus (HPV)?
Dr. Diane Harper - How is the HPV virus contracted?