Which test screens for sexually transmitted dieases (STDs)?

No single test screens for all sexually transmitted diseases (STDs). Some require a vaginal exam and Pap test; others a blood or urine test. And just because you have a negative test doesn't mean you don't have the disease. Chlamydia, for instance, may travel far up into your reproductive tract, so your doctor is unable to obtain an accurate culture. Or your body may not yet have developed enough antibodies to a virus like human immunodeficiency virus (HIV) to turn up in a blood test.

Still, it's important to ask your healthcare provider to regularly test you for STDs if you're sexually active in a relationship in which you or your partner is also sexually active with others.

Continue Learning about STDs

What are the statistics of sexually transmitted infection (STI) in U.S?
Angela LoweryAngela Lowery
The current statistics of sexually transmitted infections in the U.S. are, 19 million new STI infect...
What is a sexually transmitted disease (STD)?
Heidi FantasiaHeidi Fantasia
A sexually transmitted disease is any infection (or disease) that is spread from person to person as...
What should I do if I think I have a sexually transmitted infection (STI)?
You may feel scared or shy about asking for information or help. Keep in mind, the sooner you seek t...
What is a sexually transmitted disease (STD) in adolescents?
An adolescent is susceptible to the same range of STD's as adults. They may contract herpes, syphili...