Which test screens for sexually transmitted dieases (STDs)?

No single test screens for all sexually transmitted diseases (STDs). Some require a vaginal exam and Pap test; others a blood or urine test. And just because you have a negative test doesn't mean you don't have the disease. Chlamydia, for instance, may travel far up into your reproductive tract, so your doctor is unable to obtain an accurate culture. Or your body may not yet have developed enough antibodies to a virus like human immunodeficiency virus (HIV) to turn up in a blood test.

Still, it's important to ask your healthcare provider to regularly test you for STDs if you're sexually active in a relationship in which you or your partner is also sexually active with others.

Continue Learning about STDs

Undiagnosed Chlamydia
Undiagnosed Chlamydia
The extra fun of sex comes along with the risk of transmitting a virus or bacteria --known as an STD (or sexually transmitted disease) -- during the a...
Which questions should I ask my doctor about gonorrhea?
Review the following questions about gonorrhea so you're prepared to discuss this important health i...
What is the latest research on gonorrhea?
In terms of gonorrhea research, scientists have determined the sequence of the Neisseria gonorrhoeae...
Dr. Diane Harper - How Are Human Papillomaviruses (HPV) Infections Detected?