When should I call my doctor if I have syphilis?

Syphilis is a serious bacterial disease that is spread through sexual activity. It may first appear as a single, painless sore in the genital area or area of contact. Later, the sore may go away on its own, but the disease will remain in the body. A rash may appear on the hands and feet. Over time, the disease can lead to serious organ damage, including skin and heart damage. Call your doctor if you are sexually active and notice any unexplained open sores on your skin or genitals, or if you have an unexplained rash. Your doctor can give you a correct diagnosis and treat the cause of your symptoms. When caught early, syphilis can be cured with antibiotics. It's important to know that syphilis can also be passed to your baby if you are pregnant while you have the disease.

Continue Learning about STDs

Is it Healthy to Groom the Hair Down There?
One of the most famous point-shaving scandals of all time involved a handful of underworld bookies, gangsters, and the 1978–79 Boston College basketba...
How can I have an STD if my STD test results are negative?
No single test screens for all sexually transmitted diseases (STDs). Some require a vaginal exam and...
What causes urethritis?
Peter C. Fisher, MDPeter C. Fisher, MD
Urethritis can be caused by a bacterial or viral infection. Such an infection can lead to conditions...
Dr. Diane Harper - What are the treatment options for human papillomavirus (HPV) infection?