What are the symptoms of sexually transmitted diseases in adolescents?

Sexually transmitted diseases (STDs) can have several presentations in adolescents and not every individual will always display symptoms normally associated with that disease. Common symptoms are new vaginal discharge or odor, penile or vaginal drainage or genital lesions. Individuals may also have abdominal pain, nausea, vomiting or fever. Its important if you have had unprotected sex of not using a condom that you see a healthcare provider for sexually transmitted testing.

Many STDs are asymptomatic and the individual may not know he/she has been infected. If a teen is sexually active then it's important to get him/her tested for STDs. Young people between the ages of 15 and 24 account for about half of all STD cases. This is an alarming statistic and that's why it's important to educate young people about STDs. There are more than 20 various types of STDs. Some of the most common are chlamydia, herpes, and gonorrhea (“Clap”).

Other STDs include:

• Syphilis
  • HIV/AIDS
  • HPV/Genital Warts
  • Syphilis
  • Trichomoniasis
  • Hepatitis

Common Symptoms

• Bumps or sores, near the anus, mouth, penis, or vagina
  • Swelling or redness near the penis or vagina
  • Skin rash
  • Pain when urinating
  • Weight loss
  • Loose stools
  • Night sweats/Chills
  • Aches, and pains
  • Fever
  • Jaundice
  • Discharge from the penis or vagina. Some discharge may have an odor
  • Bleeding from the vagina not attributed to menstrual cycle
  • Pain during sexual intercourse
  • Severe itching in the pubic area

Many STDs are treatable or curable but early detection is crucial. Get tested if you suspect you have an STD.

Continue Learning about STDs

Is it Healthy to Groom the Hair Down There?
One of the most famous point-shaving scandals of all time involved a handful of underworld bookies, gangsters, and the 1978–79 Boston College basketba...
What is a sexually transmitted disease (STD)?
Heidi FantasiaHeidi Fantasia
A sexually transmitted disease is any infection (or disease) that is spread from person to person as...
What should I do if I think I have a sexually transmitted infection (STI)?
You may feel scared or shy about asking for information or help. Keep in mind, the sooner you seek t...
Dr. Diane Harper - How Are Human Papillomaviruses (HPV) Infections Detected?