What are the symptoms of gonorrhea in women?

When symptoms of gonorrhea occur in infected females, they often are mild. Increased vaginal discharge is the most common symptom. Painful urination and spotting between periods, sometimes triggered by sex, are other common symptoms. Females may also experience pain low in the abdomen or discomfort during sex. If these symptoms are ignored and the infection goes untreated, the bacteria often spread from the cervix into the uterus, fallopian tubes and ovaries, causing pelvic inflammatory disease (PID). PID increases the chances of infertility in females who have the condition.

Because gonorrhea is often present in females without recognizable symptoms, it is recommended that sexually active females, regardless of symptoms, be tested routinely for gonorrhea if they are at increased risk for infection.

Continue Learning about STDs

What to Do When You Get an STD
What to Do When You Get an STD
In 2012, an Oregon woman who sued her date for giving her genital herpes won $900,000. And one tycoon allegedly paid $52 million for giving chlamydia ...
How can I avoid getting STDs during oral sex?
Although unprotected oral sex is presumably safer than unprotected anal sex or vaginal intercourse, ...
What should I do if I think I have a sexually transmitted infection (STI)?
Angela LoweryAngela Lowery
If you think you have a sexually transmitted disease, seek medical care as soon as possible. You may...
Dr. Diane Harper - Could I have human papillomavirus (HPV) even if my pap test was normal?