What is a sexually transmitted disease (STD) in adolescents?

Terrie Watkins
Midwifery Nursing
An adolescent is susceptible to the same range of STD's as adults. They may contract herpes, syphilis, HIV/AIDS, gonorrhea, chlamydia, genital warts, etc. Unfortunately, some diseases are even more contagious and dangerous during adolescence, due to developmental changes in the immature sexual organs. Preventing STD's is an important part of adolescent health.

Continue Learning about STDs

What to Do When You Get an STD
What to Do When You Get an STD
In 2012, an Oregon woman who sued her date for giving her genital herpes won $900,000. And one tycoon allegedly paid $52 million for giving chlamydia ...
What increases my risk of getting a sexually transmitted disease?
Bonnie Lynn Wright, PhDBonnie Lynn Wright, PhD
Being sexually active puts you at risk of being exposed to sexually transmitted infections. Period. ...
What does my partner need to know if I have chlamydia?
In general, treatment for chlamydia is recommended for any partner or partners you have had sexual c...
Dr. Diane Harper - How Are Human Papillomaviruses (HPV) Infections Detected?