What is the relationship between syphilis and HIV?

Dr. Jeanne Morrison, PhD

If you have syphilis, you may be more likely to become infected with the human immunodeficiency virus (HIV). In fact, it's estimated that your risk for getting HIV is increased two to five times if you're exposed to the virus while you have syphilis sores. This is because the sores caused by syphilis often form on areas like the genitals, anus, and mouth, and they bleed easily. This makes the sores an easy way for HIV to enter your body during sex.

Continue Learning about STDs

How safe is treatment for gonorrhea during pregnancy?
According to the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), an estimated 13,200 pregnant...
What should I do if I think I have a sexually transmitted infection (STI)?
You may feel scared or shy about asking for information or help. Keep in mind, the sooner you seek t...
Which questions should I ask my doctor about gonorrhea?
Review the following questions about gonorrhea so you're prepared to discuss this important health i...
Why is the HPV vaccine given to boys and girls at such an early age?
Martin M. Anderson, MDMartin M. Anderson, MD
Although national health authorities now recommend that 11-year-old girls and boys receive either th...