What is the relationship between syphilis and HIV?

If you have syphilis, you may be more likely to become infected with the human immunodeficiency virus (HIV). In fact, it's estimated that your risk for getting HIV is increased two to five times if you're exposed to the virus while you have syphilis sores. This is because the sores caused by syphilis often form on areas like the genitals, anus, and mouth, and they bleed easily. This makes the sores an easy way for HIV to enter your body during sex.

Continue Learning about STDs

Undiagnosed Chlamydia
Undiagnosed Chlamydia
The extra fun of sex comes along with the risk of transmitting a virus or bacteria --known as an STD (or sexually transmitted disease) -- during the a...
What questions should I ask my doctor about trichomoniasis?
Review the following questions about trichomoniasis so you're prepared to discuss this important hea...
What should I do if I think I have a sexually transmitted infection (STI)?
Angela LoweryAngela Lowery
If you think you have a sexually transmitted disease, seek medical care as soon as possible. You may...
Dr. Diane Harper - How is the HPV virus contracted?