What is the rate of incidence of chlamydia?

Diana Meeks
Diana Meeks on behalf of Sigma Nursing

Chlamydia is one of the most common - and most frequently reported – sexually transmitted diseases. In 2011, over 1.4 million cases of chlamydia were reported in the United States. Because so many people may be infected without even realizing it, it's estimated that about 2.86 million people in the United States may actually get chlamydia each year. It's most common among teenagers and young adults under the age of 25, especially women.

Continue Learning about STDs

How is trichomoniasis diagnosed in women?
For women, a trichomoniasis diagnosis based on symptoms is inadequate because many of these symptoms...
Is there any research being done on sexually transmitted infection (STI)?
Riverside Women's HealthRiverside Women's Health
Yes. Research on STIs is a public health priority. Research is focused on prevention, diagnosis, and...
What should I do if I think I have a sexually transmitted infection (STI)?
You may feel scared or shy about asking for information or help. Keep in mind, the sooner you seek t...
Dr. Diane Harper - How is the HPV virus contracted?