What does my partner need to know if I have chlamydia?

In general, treatment for chlamydia is recommended for any partner or partners you have had sexual contact with up to 60 days prior to having symptoms or a diagnosis of chlamydia.

Some clinics and doctors' offices offer what is called expedited partner therapy (EPT). In this case, people with chlamydia are given a prescription or the medication that treats chlamydia to give to his or her partner(s) without the healthcare professional assessing the partner. There are legal and ethical debates about this approach, and it does have some limitations (including loss of screening and counseling opportunities and the potential for adverse reactions to antibiotics). That said, it may be the most effective way to stop the spread of chlamydia, because many infected male partners have no symptoms and are reluctant to seek treatment.

EPT is legal in several U.S. states and cities. For more information on its legal status, consult the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) website.

Continue Learning about STDs

Undiagnosed Chlamydia
Undiagnosed Chlamydia
The extra fun of sex comes along with the risk of transmitting a virus or bacteria --known as an STD (or sexually transmitted disease) -- during the a...
Read More
How can I avoid getting STDs during oral sex?
Although unprotected oral sex is presumably safer than unprotected anal sex or vaginal intercourse, ...
More Answers
What should I do if I think I have a sexually transmitted infection (STI)?
Angela LoweryAngela Lowery
If you think you have a sexually transmitted disease, seek medical care as soon as possible. You may...
More Answers
Dr. Diane Harper - How Are Human Papillomaviruses (HPV) Infections Detected?
Dr. Diane Harper - How Are Human Papillomaviruses (HPV) Infections Detected?

Important: This content reflects information from various individuals and organizations and may offer alternative or opposing points of view. It should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. As always, you should consult with your healthcare provider about your specific health needs.