What are the long-term health risks of gonorrhea?

Untreated gonorrhea can cause serious complications in women and men. In women it can cause pelvic inflammatory disease (PID). This can lead to infertility, long-term pelvic and abdominal pain or an ectopic pregnancy (a pregnancy that develops outside the uterus). In men, untreated gonorrhea can cause a painful condition in the tubes inside the testicles, which can lead to infertility (although this is rare). In both men and women gonorrhea can spread to the blood and joints, causing severe illness.
Jill A. Grimes, MD
Family Medicine

Estimates vary, but 10 to 30% of untreated gonorrhea infections in women will go on to cause pelvic inflammatory disease (PID). Gonorrhea and chlamydia are the primary causes of all PID. PID causes scarring and blockage of fallopian tubes, causing an estimated 100,000 women annually to become infertile.

PID scarring can also cause ectopic or tubal pregnancies (pregnancy occurring outside the uterus), which is potentially life threatening. PID can lead to chronic pelvic pain.

Seductive Delusions: How Everyday People Catch STDs

Anyone can catch a sexually transmitted disease. STDs are widespread in all walks of life, regardless of gender, race, social status, or education. Seduced into complacency by the notion that "it...

Continue Learning about STDs

What to Do When You Get an STD
What to Do When You Get an STD
In 2012, an Oregon woman who sued her date for giving her genital herpes won $900,000. And one tycoon allegedly paid $52 million for giving chlamydia ...
Why should men be treated for gonorrhea?
Gonorrhea is a curable sexually transmitted disease (STD), and men with the disease should be treate...
What are the symptoms of gonorrhea in women?
When symptoms of gonorrhea occur in infected females, they often are mild. Increased vaginal dischar...
Dr. Diane Harper - Could I have human papillomavirus (HPV) even if my pap test was normal?