What is trichomoniasis?

Trichomoniasis is the most common curable sexually transmitted disease (STD) in the United States. In recent years, diagnosing and treating this disease has received more attention as new research has shown that it is not as harmless as was once thought.

The organisms that cause trichomoniasis are protozoans (the simplest, single-cell organism in the animal kingdom). These protozoans, called trichomonads, can infect other areas of the body, but Trichomonas vaginalis is responsible for genital infection and vaginitis. This parasite resides primarily in the vagina and/or bladder, where body temperature, low oxygen environment and moisture allow it to grow and multiply.

Continue Learning about STDs

Is it Healthy to Groom the Hair Down There?
One of the most famous point-shaving scandals of all time involved a handful of underworld bookies, gangsters, and the 1978–79 Boston College basketba...
How safe is treatment for gonorrhea during pregnancy?
According to the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), an estimated 13,200 pregnant...
How does chlamydia affect newborns?
A small percentage of pregnant females are infected with chlamydia. In pregnant females, untreated c...
What does my partner need to know if I have chlamydia?
In general, treatment for chlamydia is recommended for any partner or partners you have had sexual c...