What is pelvic inflammatory disease (PID)?

Pelvic inflammatory disease (PID) is an infection in the female reproductive tract. PID may affect the fallopian tubes or the lining of the uterus, and in severe cases, it can spread to the ovaries. Pelvic inflammatory disease usually develops when the bacteria that cause certain sexually transmitted disease (such as gonorrhea or chlamydia) travel from the vagina into the upper reproductive organs. PID may not cause any noticeable symptoms, but it's important to avoid this disease because it can lead to infertility if left untreated.

Pelvic inflammatory disease (PID) is an infection of the upper genital tract (uterus, ovaries and fallopian tubes) in women. It is often a complication of an untreated sexually transmitted disease such as gonorrhea or chlamydia, although other infections can also cause it. 

Continue Learning about STDs

What to Do When You Get an STD
What to Do When You Get an STD
In 2012, an Oregon woman who sued her date for giving her genital herpes won $900,000. And one tycoon allegedly paid $52 million for giving chlamydia ...
Which questions should I ask my doctor about gonorrhea?
Review the following questions about gonorrhea so you're prepared to discuss this important health i...
How common is trichomoniasis in women?
About 3.7 million people have trichomoniasis, according to the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and ...
Dr. Diane Harper - What are the symptoms of human papillomavirus (HPV)?