What is chlamydia?

Chlamydia is a bacterial infection. Symptoms may include unusual discharge, bleeding between menstrual periods for women, and swollen/painful testicles for men. Approximately 75% of women and 50% of men will have no symptoms of the infection. Urine samples, or a sample from the women's cervix or a man's urethra are obtained for diagnosis. Chlamydia is treated with antibiotics.

Continue Learning about STDs

Is it Healthy to Groom the Hair Down There?
One of the most famous point-shaving scandals of all time involved a handful of underworld bookies, gangsters, and the 1978–79 Boston College basketba...
What increases my risk of getting a sexually transmitted disease?
Bonnie Lynn Wright, PhDBonnie Lynn Wright, PhD
Being sexually active puts you at risk of being exposed to sexually transmitted infections. Period. ...
Is there any research being done on sexually transmitted infection (STI)?
Riverside Women's HealthRiverside Women's Health
Yes. Research on STIs is a public health priority. Research is focused on prevention, diagnosis, and...
How should I talk to my kids about sexually transmitted diseases (STDs)?
Along with the "Birds and the Bees" discussion must come information about transmission and preventi...