What can I do if treatment for trichomoniasis fails?

Up to 10% of women do not respond to standard treatment for trichomoniasis; for those who fail treatment, a longer course of metronidazole is recommended by the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). If this second course of medication fails, the CDC recommends 2 grams (g) daily for five days of either metronidazole or tinidazole.

If you develop a rash in response to the 5-nitroimidazole drugs, there are other medications you can try, but they have poor cure rates. If you are allergic to tinidazole and metronidazole, your provider may suggest desensitizing you to these medications so you can undergo treatment.

Continue Learning about STDs

Undiagnosed Chlamydia
Undiagnosed Chlamydia
The extra fun of sex comes along with the risk of transmitting a virus or bacteria --known as an STD (or sexually transmitted disease) -- during the a...
What causes a sexually transmitted disease in adolescents?
Bonnie Lynn Wright, PhDBonnie Lynn Wright, PhD
Sex and sexual activity can result in an STD or STI. Oral, anal, vaginal sex can spread an STI becau...
How often should I be screened for sexually transmitted diseases (STDs)?
Sexually transmitted disease (STD) screening prevents the spread of HIV and other STDs. Many of thes...
Dr. Diane Harper - How is the HPV virus contracted?