What causes a sexually transmitted disease in adolescents?

Bonnie Lynn Wright, PhD
Geriatrics Nursing

Sex and sexual activity can result in an STD or STI. Oral, anal, vaginal sex can spread an STI because the moist tissues in these areas make it easy for viruses and bacteria to travel from one host to another. But you also have to be careful when sexual activity does not include penetration. "Outercourse" or petting can put moist tissues close enough for the bacteria and viruses to travel even though intercourse does not happen. Even if you practice safer sex, the condom does not always cover areas that may be infected with a virus such as the scrotum for genital warts. 

Advice: When you have met someone you want to be sexually active with, both of you go get tested and practice safer sex every time. 

Continue Learning about STDs

What should I do if I think I have a sexually transmitted infection (STI)?
You may feel scared or shy about asking for information or help. Keep in mind, the sooner you seek t...
How does chlamydia affect newborns?
A small percentage of pregnant females are infected with chlamydia. In pregnant females, untreated c...
What increases my risk of getting a sexually transmitted disease?
Bonnie Lynn Wright, PhDBonnie Lynn Wright, PhD
Being sexually active puts you at risk of being exposed to sexually transmitted infections. Period. ...
What is the latest research on gonorrhea?
In terms of gonorrhea research, scientists have determined the sequence of the Neisseria gonorrhoeae...