What are the different tests for gonorrhea?

There are three types of tests for gonorrhea:

Swab sample. A swab sample from the part of the body likely to be infected (cervix, urethra, penis, rectum, or throat) can be sent to a lab for testing. Urine test. Gonorrhea in the cervix or urethra can be diagnosed with a urine sample sent to a lab. Gram stain. This is done right in a clinic or doctor's office. A sample from the urethra or a cervix is placed on a slide and stained with dye. It allows the doctor to see the bacteria under a microscope. This test works better for men than for women.

Talk to your doctor about getting tested if you have any symptoms of gonorrhea, if you think you or your partner could have it, or if you know your partner has it. If you are tested for gonorrhea, you also should be tested for other STIs, including chlamydia, syphilis, and HIV.

This answer is based on source information from the National Women's Health Information Center.

Continue Learning about STDs

What to Do When You Get an STD
What to Do When You Get an STD
In 2012, an Oregon woman who sued her date for giving her genital herpes won $900,000. And one tycoon allegedly paid $52 million for giving chlamydia ...
Which questions should I ask my doctor about chlamydia?
Review the following questions about chlamydia so you're prepared to discuss this important health i...
How can I avoid getting STDs during oral sex?
Although unprotected oral sex is presumably safer than unprotected anal sex or vaginal intercourse, ...
Dr. Diane Harper - What are the treatment options for human papillomavirus (HPV) infection?