What are the long-term health risks of chlamydia?

Jill A. Grimes, MD
Family Medicine
20 to 40% of untreated chlamydia infections will go on to cause pelvic inflammatory disease (PID). PID causes scarring and blockage of fallopian tubes, causing an estimated 100,000 women to become infertile each year in the United States. Approximately 12% of women are infertile after a single episode of PID, almost 25% after two episodes, and over 50% after three or more episodes. PID scarring can also cause ectopic or tubal pregnancy (pregnancy occurring outside the uterus), which is potentially life threatening.
PID can lead to chronic pelvic pain. Women with chlamydia infection are up to 5 times more likely to become infected with the HIV virus if exposed.
Seductive Delusions: How Everyday People Catch STDs

Anyone can catch a sexually transmitted disease. STDs are widespread in all walks of life, regardless of gender, race, social status, or education. Seduced into complacency by the notion that "it...

Continue Learning about STDs

Is it Healthy to Groom the Hair Down There?
One of the most famous point-shaving scandals of all time involved a handful of underworld bookies, gangsters, and the 1978–79 Boston College basketba...
What increases my risk of getting a sexually transmitted disease?
Sexually transmitted diseases (STDs) affect more than 13 million men and women in the United Sta...
What should I do if I think I have a sexually transmitted infection (STI)?
Angela LoweryAngela Lowery
If you think you have a sexually transmitted disease, seek medical care as soon as possible. You may...
Dr. Diane Harper - Could I have human papillomavirus (HPV) even if my pap test was normal?