What are the advantages of NAATs for gonorrhea and chlamydia?

Nucleic acid amplification tests (NAATs) detect the DNA or RNA material of gonorrhea and/or chlamydia organisms. The test results usually are available within one to three days. NAATs have revolutionized gonorrhea and chlamydia control because they permit screening of large numbers of males and females using urine or self-collected vaginal swabs without requiring a pelvic examination or clinic visit.

DNA or RNA testing by NAAT now is the primary means of diagnosing gonorrhea and chlamydia in most of the industrialized world. NAATs are much more sensitive than any other genital gonorrhea test, even for testing the throat and rectum.

Continue Learning about STDs

Dr. Diane Harper - How is the HPV virus contracted?
Dr. Diane Harper - How Are Human Papillomaviruses (HPV) Infections Detected?
Dr. Diane Harper - Could I have human papillomavirus (HPV) even if my pap test was normal?
Dr. Diane Harper - What are the symptoms of human papillomavirus (HPV)?