Can trichomoniasis cause problems during pregnancy?

Angela Lowery
Family Medicine
Trichomoniasis in pregnancy may cause babies to be born early or with low birth weight. If you are pregnant and think you may have trichomoniasis or any other sexually transmitted infection, see your healthcare provider immediately.
Pregnant women with trichomoniasis may have babies who are born early or at a low birth weight. Babies born early or too small can have health problems.
Metronidazole can be used during pregnancy. But some doctors feel that it's best to not use metronidazole during the first 3 months, when the baby's organs are forming. Talk to your doctor about the benefits and risks of treatment during pregnancy. Keep in mind that without treatment, you can give the infection to others.
This answer is based on source information from the National Women's Health Information Center.

Continue Learning about STDs

What to Do When You Get an STD
What to Do When You Get an STD
In 2012, an Oregon woman who sued her date for giving her genital herpes won $900,000. And one tycoon allegedly paid $52 million for giving chlamydia ...
How safe is treatment for gonorrhea during pregnancy?
According to the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), an estimated 13,200 pregnant...
Which test screens for sexually transmitted dieases (STDs)?
No single test screens for all sexually transmitted diseases (STDs). Some require a vaginal exam and...
Dr. Diane Harper - Could I have human papillomavirus (HPV) even if my pap test was normal?