What should I do if I think I have a sexually transmitted infection (STI)?

Diana Meeks
Diana Meeks on behalf of Sigma Nursing

You may feel scared or shy about asking for information or help. Keep in mind, the sooner you seek treatment, the less likely the sexually transmitted infection (STI) will cause you severe harm. And the sooner you tell your sex partner(s) that you have an STI, the less likely they are to re-infect you or spread the disease to others.

If you think you may have an STI, see a doctor right away. Doctors, local health departments, and STI and family planning clinics have information about STIs and many offer testing. The American Social Health Association (ASHA) keeps lists of clinics and doctors who provide treatment for STIs.

This answer is based on source information from the National Women's Health Information Center.

Continue Learning about STDs

Undiagnosed Chlamydia
Undiagnosed Chlamydia
The extra fun of sex comes along with the risk of transmitting a virus or bacteria --known as an STD (or sexually transmitted disease) -- during the a...
Which test screens for sexually transmitted dieases (STDs)?
No single test screens for all sexually transmitted diseases (STDs). Some require a vaginal exam and...
How can I avoid getting STDs during oral sex?
Although unprotected oral sex is presumably safer than unprotected anal sex or vaginal intercourse, ...
Dr. Diane Harper - Could I have human papillomavirus (HPV) even if my pap test was normal?