Should I talk to my doctor about my syphilis symptoms?

If you have symptoms that you think may be caused by syphilis, it's a good idea to talk to your doctor. Suspicious symptoms often begin with a painless sore called a chancre that's usually on the genitals, anal area, or mouth. Sores and other symptoms may heal on their own without being treated, but the infection will stay in your body for life if untreated and could cause serious complications later. Because of this, it's best to get treatment as soon as you notice symptoms. The proper course of antibiotics will treat syphilis easily.

Continue Learning about STDs

What to Do When You Get an STD
What to Do When You Get an STD
In 2012, an Oregon woman who sued her date for giving her genital herpes won $900,000. And one tycoon allegedly paid $52 million for giving chlamydia ...
What is a sexually transmitted disease (STD) in adolescents?
Terrie WatkinsTerrie Watkins
An adolescent is susceptible to the same range of STD's as adults. They may contract herpes, syphili...
How can I help my adolescent avoid sexually transmitted diseases (STDs)?
Sexually transmitted diseases (STDs) are particularly common among adolescents and an issue kids are...
Dr. Diane Harper - How Are Human Papillomaviruses (HPV) Infections Detected?