Can syphilis be spread through oral sex?

Syphilis is a sexually transmitted disease, which means it can be spread through any type of sex, including oral sex. The infection is caused by bacteria that are spread from person to person through direct contact. Syphilis causes sores that form most commonly on the genitals, anus, and mouth. If any kind of mucous membrane comes into contact with an open sore, it's possible for the bacteria to spread. That means that any kind of sex - vaginal intercourse, anal sex, and oral sex - can spread syphilis. This is why it's important to practice safe sex and to be very aware of any sex partners' sexual history and disease status.

Continue Learning about STDs

Undiagnosed Chlamydia
Undiagnosed Chlamydia
The extra fun of sex comes along with the risk of transmitting a virus or bacteria --known as an STD (or sexually transmitted disease) -- during the a...
How can I have an STD if my STD test results are negative?
No single test screens for all sexually transmitted diseases (STDs). Some require a vaginal exam and...
What does my partner need to know if I have chlamydia?
In general, treatment for chlamydia is recommended for any partner or partners you have had sexual c...
Dr. Diane Harper - How is the HPV virus contracted?