Can syphilis be spread through oral sex?

Dr. Jeanne Morrison, PhD

Syphilis is a sexually transmitted disease, which means it can be spread through any type of sex, including oral sex. The infection is caused by bacteria that are spread from person to person through direct contact. Syphilis causes sores that form most commonly on the genitals, anus, and mouth. If any kind of mucous membrane comes into contact with an open sore, it's possible for the bacteria to spread. That means that any kind of sex - vaginal intercourse, anal sex, and oral sex - can spread syphilis. This is why it's important to practice safe sex and to be very aware of any sex partners' sexual history and disease status.

Continue Learning about STDs

What should I do if I think I have a sexually transmitted infection (STI)?
You may feel scared or shy about asking for information or help. Keep in mind, the sooner you seek t...
How do sexually transmitted infections (STI) affect pregnancy?
STIs can cause many of the same health problems in pregnant women as women who are not pregnant. But...
Can a pelvic exam help screen for sexually transmitted diseases (STD)?
Sometimes a sexually transmitted disease (STD) will cause abnormalities that can be seen on a pelvic...
What causes a sexually transmitted disease in adolescents?
Bonnie Lynn Wright, PhDBonnie Lynn Wright, PhD
Sex and sexual activity can result in an STD or STI. Oral, anal, vaginal sex can spread an STI becau...