Does syphilis affect men differently than women?

Syphilis affects men and women in mostly the same ways. Obviously, the location of the sores may vary depending on where the bacteria entered, but for both men and women, it's usually the genitals, rectum, or mouth. The only difference between the ways the sexes are affected is that men are more likely than women to be infected with syphilis. This is especially true of men who have sex with men.

Continue Learning about STDs

What to Do When You Get an STD
What to Do When You Get an STD
In 2012, an Oregon woman who sued her date for giving her genital herpes won $900,000. And one tycoon allegedly paid $52 million for giving chlamydia ...
Which sexually transmitted infections can lesbian women get?
Angela LoweryAngela Lowery
Lesbian women are at risk for getting sexually transmitted infections just as non lesbian women. Les...
What is the latest research on gonorrhea?
In terms of gonorrhea research, scientists have determined the sequence of the Neisseria gonorrhoeae...
Dr. Diane Harper - Could I have human papillomavirus (HPV) even if my pap test was normal?