What are the statistics of sexually transmitted infection (STI) in U.S?

Angela Lowery
Family Medicine

The current statistics of sexually transmitted infections in the U.S. are, 19 million new STI infections each year. The cost to the U.S. healthcare system is 16.4 billion per year and even more in terms of acute and long-term consequences.

STIs are among the most common contagious diseases in the United States today. More than 65 million people in this country currently have an incurable sexually transmitted infection. Each year an additional 18 million people will get one or more STIs, and more than half of all new STI cases occur in people ages fifteen to twenty four. If we have unprotected sex with someone who has an STI or we already have one, we are more likely to get or transmit another one, including HIV.

Our Bodies, Ourselves: A New Edition for a New Era

America's best-selling book on all aspects of women's health With more than four million copies sold, "Our Bodies, Ourselves" is "the" classic resource that women of all ages can turn to for...

Continue Learning about STDs

Undiagnosed Chlamydia
Undiagnosed Chlamydia
The extra fun of sex comes along with the risk of transmitting a virus or bacteria --known as an STD (or sexually transmitted disease) -- during the a...
Why does trichomoniasis receive so little attention compared to other STDs?
Alynn B. Alexander, MDAlynn B. Alexander, MD
Trichiomoniasis receives little attention compared to other STDs probably because it’s not associate...
What are the symptoms of trichomoniasis in women?
A significant number of women infected with trichomoniasis have no noticeable symptoms. If symptoms ...
Dr. Diane Harper - Could I have human papillomavirus (HPV) even if my pap test was normal?