Should I be tested regularly for chlamydia even without symptoms?

If you have an increased risk for chlamydia, it's a good idea to get tested regularly, even if you don't have any symptoms. This is because chlamydia may not cause symptoms, or its symptoms may be so mild and short-lived that people don't think anything of it. People who have multiple sex partners or who have unprotected sex frequently are at a higher risk and should be tested. In general, women under the age of 25 who are sexually active should be tested regularly since their cervixes aren't yet mature and are more likely to get infected. It's also recommended that all pregnant women get tested for chlamydia and other sexually transmitted diseases. Talk to your doctor about getting tested for chlamydia.

Continue Learning about STDs

What to Do When You Get an STD
What to Do When You Get an STD
In 2012, an Oregon woman who sued her date for giving her genital herpes won $900,000. And one tycoon allegedly paid $52 million for giving chlamydia ...
How is trichomoniasis diagnosed in women?
For women, a trichomoniasis diagnosis based on symptoms is inadequate because many of these symptoms...
What are the advantages of NAATs for gonorrhea and chlamydia?
Nucleic acid amplification tests (NAATs) detect the DNA or RNA material of gonorrhea and/or chlamydi...
Dr. Diane Harper - Could I have human papillomavirus (HPV) even if my pap test was normal?