Should I be tested regularly for chlamydia even without symptoms?

Diana Meeks
Diana Meeks on behalf of Sigma Nursing

If you have an increased risk for chlamydia, it's a good idea to get tested regularly, even if you don't have any symptoms. This is because chlamydia may not cause symptoms, or its symptoms may be so mild and short-lived that people don't think anything of it. People who have multiple sex partners or who have unprotected sex frequently are at a higher risk and should be tested. In general, women under the age of 25 who are sexually active should be tested regularly since their cervixes aren't yet mature and are more likely to get infected. It's also recommended that all pregnant women get tested for chlamydia and other sexually transmitted diseases. Talk to your doctor about getting tested for chlamydia.

Continue Learning about STDs

What questions should I ask my doctor about trichomoniasis?
Review the following questions about trichomoniasis so you're prepared to discuss this important hea...
Which questions should I ask my doctor about gonorrhea?
Review the following questions about gonorrhea so you're prepared to discuss this important health i...
What should I do if I think I have a sexually transmitted infection (STI)?
You may feel scared or shy about asking for information or help. Keep in mind, the sooner you seek t...
What is a sexually transmitted disease (STD) in adolescents?
An adolescent is susceptible to the same range of STD's as adults. They may contract herpes, syphili...