How do I manage my syphilis on a daily basis?

The most important thing you can do to manage syphilis is to get treatment. The sooner you get treatment, the more likely the infection will be cured quickly. Treatment usually consists of an injection of penicillin. After treatment, doctors will perform blood tests to make sure treatment is working to get rid of the infection. While you're being treated, and until your blood tests come back negative, you should avoid having sex. You should also talk to your sex partners about your diagnosis of syphilis so that they can be tested and treated, too.

Continue Learning about STDs

What to Do When You Get an STD
What to Do When You Get an STD
In 2012, an Oregon woman who sued her date for giving her genital herpes won $900,000. And one tycoon allegedly paid $52 million for giving chlamydia ...
What are the symptoms of trichomoniasis in women?
A significant number of women infected with trichomoniasis have no noticeable symptoms. If symptoms ...
What causes urethritis?
Peter C. Fisher, MDPeter C. Fisher, MD
Urethritis can be caused by a bacterial or viral infection. Such an infection can lead to conditions...
Dr. Diane Harper - What are the treatment options for human papillomavirus (HPV) infection?