What should I know about caring for someone with syphilis?

Diana Meeks
Diana Meeks on behalf of Sigma Nursing

Caring for someone with syphilis may involve different things, depending on the stage of the infection. For people with primary or secondary syphilis, care may just involve helping them get treatment from a doctor and encouraging them to take care of their general health through balanced diet and sufficient rest. For people with tertiary syphilis, care may be a bit more complex depending on how the infection has affected the body. If it affects the brain and spinal cord, people may have changes in mood and behavior and may even become paralyzed, so it's important to understand these effects and to support them physically and emotionally in whatever ways you can.

Continue Learning about STDs

How common is trichomoniasis in women?
About 3.7 million people have trichomoniasis, according to the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and ...
How can I avoid getting STDs during oral sex?
Although unprotected oral sex is presumably safer than unprotected anal sex or vaginal intercourse, ...
What should I do if I think I have a sexually transmitted infection (STI)?
You may feel scared or shy about asking for information or help. Keep in mind, the sooner you seek t...
Dr. Diane Harper - How is the HPV virus contracted?