Is there a cure for syphilis?

If syphilis is treated in its early stages, it's almost always possible for it to be cured. For primary and secondary syphilis, an injection of penicillin usually cures the infection. However, if syphilis isn't treated till it's reached the tertiary stage, a cure may not be possible. In those cases, penicillin may stop the infection from progressing, but it can't reverse damage already done to the major organs.

Continue Learning about STDs

What to Do When You Get an STD
What to Do When You Get an STD
In 2012, an Oregon woman who sued her date for giving her genital herpes won $900,000. And one tycoon allegedly paid $52 million for giving chlamydia ...
Which questions should I ask my doctor about gonorrhea?
Review the following questions about gonorrhea so you're prepared to discuss this important health i...
What are the symptoms of gonorrhea in women?
When symptoms of gonorrhea occur in infected females, they often are mild. Increased vaginal dischar...
Dr. Diane Harper - Could I have human papillomavirus (HPV) even if my pap test was normal?