Is syphilis serious?

Dr. Jeanne Morrison, PhD

If it's caught and treated early, syphilis is usually cured without any lasting symptoms. However, if it's left untreated, syphilis can become very serious. In the tertiary (third) stage, syphilis can start to cause complications that include severe damage to major organs. If it affects the nervous system, syphilis can cause mood and behavior changes, stroke, and even paralysis. If it affects the heart, it may lead to heart failure and other heart disease. Because of this, it's important to talk to your doctor as soon as you notice symptoms so that you can be treated and cured of the infection.

Continue Learning about STDs

What are the advantages of NAATs for gonorrhea and chlamydia?
Nucleic acid amplification tests (NAATs) detect the DNA or RNA material of gonorrhea and/or chlamydi...
Which questions should I ask my doctor about chlamydia?
Review the following questions about chlamydia so you're prepared to discuss this important health i...
How should I talk to my kids about sexually transmitted diseases (STDs)?
Along with the "Birds and the Bees" discussion must come information about transmission and preventi...
How can I have an STD if my STD test results are negative?
No single test screens for all sexually transmitted diseases (STDs). Some require a vaginal exam and...