Is syphilis serious?

If it's caught and treated early, syphilis is usually cured without any lasting symptoms. However, if it's left untreated, syphilis can become very serious. In the tertiary (third) stage, syphilis can start to cause complications that include severe damage to major organs. If it affects the nervous system, syphilis can cause mood and behavior changes, stroke, and even paralysis. If it affects the heart, it may lead to heart failure and other heart disease. Because of this, it's important to talk to your doctor as soon as you notice symptoms so that you can be treated and cured of the infection.

Continue Learning about STDs

What to Do When You Get an STD
What to Do When You Get an STD
In 2012, an Oregon woman who sued her date for giving her genital herpes won $900,000. And one tycoon allegedly paid $52 million for giving chlamydia ...
What questions should I ask my doctor about trichomoniasis?
Review the following questions about trichomoniasis so you're prepared to discuss this important hea...
How should I talk to my kids about sexually transmitted diseases (STDs)?
Terrie WatkinsTerrie Watkins
Along with the "Birds and the Bees" discussion must come information about transmission and preventi...
Dr. Diane Harper - Could I have human papillomavirus (HPV) even if my pap test was normal?