How can I tell if I have syphilis?

Diana K. Blythe, MD
Pediatrics

In order to test for syphilis, your doctor will do blood tests. Some of the tests are specific to syphilis and others are simple makers of tissue damage.

If you have had a recent positive test for syphilis elsewhere, tell your doctor. Sometimes it is difficult to tell between a new positive and a recently treated syphilis diagnosis. In addition, it can be hard to tell between an old treated and an old untreated case. Follow up labs may need to be done in upcoming months. 

If you do have syphilis, get treated. Also, make sure any of your partners get tested and treated if necessary. In the future, practice safe sex every time.

Continue Learning about STDs

What is a sexually transmitted disease (STD) in adolescents?
An adolescent is susceptible to the same range of STD's as adults. They may contract herpes, syphili...
What are the statistics of sexually transmitted infection (STI) in U.S?
Angela LoweryAngela Lowery
The current statistics of sexually transmitted infections in the U.S. are, 19 million new STI infect...
Dr. Diane Harper - What are the treatment options for human papillomavirus (HPV) infection?
Dr. Diane Harper - How is the HPV virus contracted?