How can I have an STD if my STD test results are negative?

No single test screens for all sexually transmitted diseases (STDs). Some require a vaginal exam and others require blood or urine tests. And just because you have a negative test doesn't mean you don't have the disease. Gonorrhea, for example, may travel far up into your reproductive tract, so your doctor is unable to obtain a culture. Or your body may not have developed enough antibodies to a virus like human immunodeficiency virus (HIV) to turn up in a blood test. Still, it's important to ask your healthcare provider to regularly test you for STDs if you're sexually active in a nonmonogamous relationship (or have the slightest concern about your partner's fidelity). 

Continue Learning about STDs

Undiagnosed Chlamydia
Undiagnosed Chlamydia
The extra fun of sex comes along with the risk of transmitting a virus or bacteria --known as an STD (or sexually transmitted disease) -- during the a...
Which questions should I ask my doctor about chlamydia?
Review the following questions about chlamydia so you're prepared to discuss this important health i...
Can a pelvic exam help screen for sexually transmitted diseases (STD)?
Sometimes a sexually transmitted disease (STD) will cause abnormalities that can be seen on a pelvic...
Dr. Diane Harper - What are the symptoms of human papillomavirus (HPV)?