How can I have an STD if my STD test results are negative?

No single test screens for all sexually transmitted diseases (STDs). Some require a vaginal exam and others require blood or urine tests. And just because you have a negative test doesn't mean you don't have the disease. Gonorrhea, for example, may travel far up into your reproductive tract, so your doctor is unable to obtain a culture. Or your body may not have developed enough antibodies to a virus like human immunodeficiency virus (HIV) to turn up in a blood test. Still, it's important to ask your healthcare provider to regularly test you for STDs if you're sexually active in a nonmonogamous relationship (or have the slightest concern about your partner's fidelity). 

Continue Learning about STDs

What to Do When You Get an STD
What to Do When You Get an STD
In 2012, an Oregon woman who sued her date for giving her genital herpes won $900,000. And one tycoon allegedly paid $52 million for giving chlamydia ...
What are the advantages of NAATs for gonorrhea and chlamydia?
Nucleic acid amplification tests (NAATs) detect the DNA or RNA material of gonorrhea and/or chlamydi...
How does gonorrhea affect newborns?
Gonorrhea can be transmitted during birth and therefore affect newborns. Fetuses with gonorrhea may ...
Dr. Diane Harper - How Are Human Papillomaviruses (HPV) Infections Detected?