How is a sexually transmitted disease in an adolescent treated?

Bonnie Lynn Wright, PhD
Geriatrics Nursing

The pathogen causing the STD or STI (I for Infection) is the same whether the host is an adult or an adolescent. The treatment, therefore, is the same as far as the medications used. The need to trace sexual contacts and to treat both partners at the same time is also the same.

There may be a difference though if the adolescent is under the age of consent for sexual activity and the sexual partner is more than two years her senior. Then the sexual activity is statutory rape and needs to be reported to the authorities. The exact ages and requirements to report may vary from state to state and country to country.

Continue Learning about STDs

Is it Healthy to Groom the Hair Down There?
One of the most famous point-shaving scandals of all time involved a handful of underworld bookies, gangsters, and the 1978–79 Boston College basketba...
What can I do if treatment for trichomoniasis fails?
Up to 10% of women do not respond to standard treatment for trichomoniasis; for those who fail treat...
How often should I be screened for sexually transmitted diseases (STDs)?
Sexually transmitted disease (STD) screening prevents the spread of HIV and other STDs. Many of thes...
How do sexually transmitted infections (STI) affect pregnancy?
STIs can cause many of the same health problems in pregnant women as women who are not pregnant. But...