How is a sexually transmitted disease in an adolescent treated?

The pathogen causing the STD or STI (I for Infection) is the same whether the host is an adult or an adolescent. The treatment, therefore, is the same as far as the medications used. The need to trace sexual contacts and to treat both partners at the same time is also the same.

There may be a difference though if the adolescent is under the age of consent for sexual activity and the sexual partner is more than two years her senior. Then the sexual activity is statutory rape and needs to be reported to the authorities. The exact ages and requirements to report may vary from state to state and country to country.

Continue Learning about STDs

What to Do When You Get an STD
What to Do When You Get an STD
In 2012, an Oregon woman who sued her date for giving her genital herpes won $900,000. And one tycoon allegedly paid $52 million for giving chlamydia ...
How can I avoid getting STDs during oral sex?
Although unprotected oral sex is presumably safer than unprotected anal sex or vaginal intercourse, ...
How safe is treatment for gonorrhea during pregnancy?
According to the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), an estimated 13,200 pregnant...
Dr. Diane Harper - How is the HPV virus contracted?