How can I protect myself from getting trichomoniasis?

You can take steps to lower your risk of getting trichomoniasis and other STIs. The following steps work best when used together:

Don't have sex. The surest way to lower risk of trichomoniasis or any STI is to practice abstinence, which means not having vaginal, oral, or anal sex. Keep in mind that trichomoniasis can be spread through vulva-to-vulva contact.Be faithful. Having sex with one uninfected partner who only has sex with you will keep you safe from trichomoniasis and other STIs. Both you and your partner must be faithful all the time to avoid exposure. This means that you only have sex with each other and no one else. The fewer sex partners you have, the lower your risk of being exposed to an STI.Use condoms correctly and every time you have sex. Use condoms for all types of sexual contact, even if penetration does not occur. Use a condom from the very beginning to the very end of each sex act, and with every partner. For vaginal sex, use a latex male condom or a female polyurethane condom. For anal sex, use a latex male condom. For oral sex, use a dental dam.Know that some birth control methods — and other methods — don't protect against STIs. Birth control methods including the pill, shots, implants, IUD, diaphragm, and spermicides, don't protect against STIs. If you use one of these methods, make sure to also use a condom with every sex act. Washing genitals, passing urine, and douching after sex will not keep you from getting an STI.Talk with your sex partner(s) about using condoms before having sex. Set the ground rules so you can avoid misunderstandings in a moment of passion. Be clear that you will not have any type of sex, any time, without using a condom. Remember, it's your body!Get tested for STIs. If either you or your partner has had other sexual partners in the past, get tested for STIs before becoming sexually active.Have regular checkups and pelvic exams even if you're healthy. During the checkup, your doctor will ask you a lot of questions about your lifestyle, including your sex life. Answering honestly is the only way your doctor is sure to give you the care you need.

The answer is based on source information from the National Women's Health Information Center.

Continue Learning about STDs

What are the advantages of NAATs for gonorrhea and chlamydia?
Nucleic acid amplification tests (NAATs) detect the DNA or RNA material of gonorrhea and/or chlamydi...
Do vaginal contraceptives containing nonoxynol-9 help prevent STDs?
Over-the-counter vaginal contraceptives that contain the spermicide nonoxynol-9 include a warning la...
What questions should I ask my doctor about trichomoniasis?
Review the following questions about trichomoniasis so you're prepared to discuss this important hea...
What causes urethritis?
Peter C. Fisher, MDPeter C. Fisher, MD
Urethritis can be caused by a bacterial or viral infection. Such an infection can lead to conditions...