How often should I be screened for sexually transmitted diseases (STDs)?

Sexually transmitted disease (STD) screening prevents the spread of HIV and other STDs. Many of these diseases can only be detected through testing. All sexually active women and their partners should be tested for HIV and other STDs before starting sexual activity with a new partner. 

Continue Learning about STDs

Is it Healthy to Groom the Hair Down There?
One of the most famous point-shaving scandals of all time involved a handful of underworld bookies, gangsters, and the 1978–79 Boston College basketba...
What can I do if treatment for trichomoniasis fails?
Up to 10% of women do not respond to standard treatment for trichomoniasis; for those who fail treat...
What are the symptoms of gonorrhea in women?
When symptoms of gonorrhea occur in infected females, they often are mild. Increased vaginal dischar...
Dr. Diane Harper - What are the treatment options for human papillomavirus (HPV) infection?