How do medications treat pelvic inflammatory disease?

Diana Meeks
Diana Meeks on behalf of Sigma Nursing

Medications used to treat pelvic inflammatory disease (PID) are antibiotics. These drugs work by killing the bacteria that cause the PID infection. Doctors usually recommend oral antibiotics as a first option. Since there may be more than one type of bacteria involved, the doctor may recommend a combination of antibiotics. If a woman doesn't respond to that treatment, or cannot take oral antibiotics, antibiotics may be given intravenously in a hospital. It is crucial to finish the full course of antibiotics to kill the bacteria, even if you feel better. Any sex partners should also be tested and treated with antibiotics at the same time so that partners don't pass PID infections back and forth.

Continue Learning about STDs

How does chlamydia affect newborns?
A small percentage of pregnant females are infected with chlamydia. In pregnant females, untreated c...
What should I do if I think I have a sexually transmitted infection (STI)?
You may feel scared or shy about asking for information or help. Keep in mind, the sooner you seek t...
Dr. Diane Harper - How is the HPV virus contracted?
Dr. Diane Harper - What are the treatment options for human papillomavirus (HPV) infection?