How do medications treat pelvic inflammatory disease?

Medications used to treat pelvic inflammatory disease (PID) are antibiotics. These drugs work by killing the bacteria that cause the PID infection. Doctors usually recommend oral antibiotics as a first option. Since there may be more than one type of bacteria involved, the doctor may recommend a combination of antibiotics. If a woman doesn't respond to that treatment, or cannot take oral antibiotics, antibiotics may be given intravenously in a hospital. It is crucial to finish the full course of antibiotics to kill the bacteria, even if you feel better. Any sex partners should also be tested and treated with antibiotics at the same time so that partners don't pass PID infections back and forth.

Continue Learning about STDs

What to Do When You Get an STD
What to Do When You Get an STD
In 2012, an Oregon woman who sued her date for giving her genital herpes won $900,000. And one tycoon allegedly paid $52 million for giving chlamydia ...
What should I do if I think I have a sexually transmitted infection (STI)?
Angela LoweryAngela Lowery
If you think you have a sexually transmitted disease, seek medical care as soon as possible. You may...
Why should men be treated for gonorrhea?
Gonorrhea is a curable sexually transmitted disease (STD), and men with the disease should be treate...
Dr. Diane Harper - Could I have human papillomavirus (HPV) even if my pap test was normal?