How do I manage my pelvic inflammatory disease on a daily basis?

The first step in managing pelvic inflammatory disease (PID) is getting treatment. Your doctor will prescribe antibiotics that you should take to kill the bacteria causing the infection. While you're taking these antibiotics, you should avoid sex until you've completed treatment. You should also have any sex partners tested and treated so that you don't pass the infection back and forth. Doctors may also recommend bed rest while you recover from the infection. Finding out that you have a sexually transmitted disease, have PID, or are infertile may cause emotional distress, so make sure you care for yourself emotionally and get help from a counselor or support group if needed.

Continue Learning about STDs

Undiagnosed Chlamydia
Undiagnosed Chlamydia
The extra fun of sex comes along with the risk of transmitting a virus or bacteria --known as an STD (or sexually transmitted disease) -- during the a...
What questions should I ask my doctor about trichomoniasis?
Review the following questions about trichomoniasis so you're prepared to discuss this important hea...
Can a pelvic exam help screen for sexually transmitted diseases (STD)?
Sometimes a sexually transmitted disease (STD) will cause abnormalities that can be seen on a pelvic...
Dr. Diane Harper - How Are Human Papillomaviruses (HPV) Infections Detected?