How can I keep myself from getting pelvic inflammatory disease (PID)?

Pelvic inflammatory disease (PID) is most often caused by a sexually transmitted infection (STI) that hasn't been treated. You can keep from getting PID by not getting an STI.

• The best way to prevent an STI is to not have sex of any kind.   

• Have sex with one partner who doesn't have any STIs.   

• Use condoms every time you have vaginal, anal, or oral sex. Read and follow the directions on the package. If condoms are used correctly, they can lower your chances of getting an STI.  

• Don't douche. Douching removes some of the normal bacteria in the vagina that protect you from infection. This makes it easier for you to get an STI.   

• If you're having sex, ask your doctor to test you for STIs. STIs found early are easier to treat.   

• Learn the common symptoms of STIs. If you think you might have an STI, see your doctor right away.

This answer is based on source information from the National Women's Health Information Center.

Continue Learning about STDs

Is it Healthy to Groom the Hair Down There?
One of the most famous point-shaving scandals of all time involved a handful of underworld bookies, gangsters, and the 1978–79 Boston College basketba...
What are the statistics of sexually transmitted infection (STI) in U.S?
Angela LoweryAngela Lowery
The current statistics of sexually transmitted infections in the U.S. are, 19 million new STI infect...
What can I do if treatment for trichomoniasis fails?
Up to 10% of women do not respond to standard treatment for trichomoniasis; for those who fail treat...
Dr. Diane Harper - Could I have human papillomavirus (HPV) even if my pap test was normal?