How can I keep myself from getting pelvic inflammatory disease (PID)?

Diana Meeks
Diana Meeks on behalf of Sigma Nursing

Pelvic inflammatory disease (PID) is most often caused by a sexually transmitted infection (STI) that hasn't been treated. You can keep from getting PID by not getting an STI.

• The best way to prevent an STI is to not have sex of any kind.   

• Have sex with one partner who doesn't have any STIs.   

• Use condoms every time you have vaginal, anal, or oral sex. Read and follow the directions on the package. If condoms are used correctly, they can lower your chances of getting an STI.  

• Don't douche. Douching removes some of the normal bacteria in the vagina that protect you from infection. This makes it easier for you to get an STI.   

• If you're having sex, ask your doctor to test you for STIs. STIs found early are easier to treat.   

• Learn the common symptoms of STIs. If you think you might have an STI, see your doctor right away.

This answer is based on source information from the National Women's Health Information Center.

Continue Learning about STDs

What to Do When You Get an STD
What to Do When You Get an STD
In 2012, an Oregon woman who sued her date for giving her genital herpes won $900,000. And one tycoon allegedly paid $52 million for giving chlamydia ...
What can I do if treatment for trichomoniasis fails?
Up to 10% of women do not respond to standard treatment for trichomoniasis; for those who fail treat...
What are the symptoms of trichomoniasis in women?
A significant number of women infected with trichomoniasis have no noticeable symptoms. If symptoms ...
How does gonorrhea affect newborns?
Gonorrhea can be transmitted during birth and therefore affect newborns. Fetuses with gonorrhea may ...