How is chlamydia diagnosed?

Testing is the only way to know whether you have chlamydia. The U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) recommends annual screening for all sexually active females 25 years of age and younger and for older females with risk factors (such as those who have a new sex partner and those with multiple sex partners). All females with signs of infection of the cervix and all pregnant females should be tested.

The most sensitive chlamydia tests, called nucleic acid amplification tests (NAATs), can be performed on a urine specimen or a self-collected vaginal swab. An invasive genital exam is not always required. However, a chlamydia test can also be performed on a swab of the cervix collected as part of a pelvic exam or a urethral swab collected on males. It may take several days before you can get a test result.
Angela Lowery
Family Medicine
Chlamydia can be diagnosed with a urine sample or by direct sample from the penis or the cervix.
A doctor can diagnose chlamydia through:
A swab test, where a fluid sample from an infected site (cervix or penis) is tested for the bacteria. A urine test, where a urine sample is tested for the bacteria.
A Pap test is not used to detect chlamydia.
This answer is based on source information from the National Women's Health Information Center.

Continue Learning about STDs

Undiagnosed Chlamydia
Undiagnosed Chlamydia
The extra fun of sex comes along with the risk of transmitting a virus or bacteria --known as an STD (or sexually transmitted disease) -- during the a...
Why should men be treated for gonorrhea?
Gonorrhea is a curable sexually transmitted disease (STD), and men with the disease should be treate...
Which test screens for sexually transmitted dieases (STDs)?
No single test screens for all sexually transmitted diseases (STDs). Some require a vaginal exam and...
Dr. Diane Harper - Could I have human papillomavirus (HPV) even if my pap test was normal?