How can I help my adolescent avoid sexually transmitted diseases (STDs)?

Sexually transmitted diseases (STDs) are particularly common among adolescents and an issue kids are concerned about. Parents can play a large role in their adolescents' behavior, both in terms of the behavior you model yourself and in terms of the communication between you and your teens.

Make sure your daughter has regular visits with a competent gynecologist or other health care professional and that your son sees a medical professional who specializes in adolescent health at least once a year, if, for nothing else, than some plain talk about STDs and pregnancy.

And talk to your kids. Study after study proves that when parents talk to their kids about sexual issues, their kids listen. Don't worry that talking about sex is the same as condoning it; hundreds of studies dispute that theory. In fact, studies show that when parents talk about sex, children are more likely to talk about it themselves, to delay their first sexual experiences and to protect themselves against pregnancy and disease when they do have sex.

Continue Learning about STDs

Is it Healthy to Groom the Hair Down There?
One of the most famous point-shaving scandals of all time involved a handful of underworld bookies, gangsters, and the 1978–79 Boston College basketba...
What is the latest research on gonorrhea?
In terms of gonorrhea research, scientists have determined the sequence of the Neisseria gonorrhoeae...
Which questions should I ask my doctor about chlamydia?
Review the following questions about chlamydia so you're prepared to discuss this important health i...
Dr. Diane Harper - Could I have human papillomavirus (HPV) even if my pap test was normal?