How does syphilis affect the body?

Syphilis starts when the bacteria Treponema pallidum enters the body through mucous membranes, usually during sexual contact. The bacteria commonly enter through the genitals, rectum, or mouth, and then enter the blood stream and spreads through the body. In the first stage, syphilis causes a sore called a chancre on the area of the body where the bacteria first entered. In the second stage, the bacteria may cause a skin rash and a variety of other symptoms, including general aching and fatigue. By the time it reaches the third stage, the disease starts to infect major organs - including the spinal cord, brain, and heart - and can cause very serious complications.

Continue Learning about STDs

What to Do When You Get an STD
What to Do When You Get an STD
In 2012, an Oregon woman who sued her date for giving her genital herpes won $900,000. And one tycoon allegedly paid $52 million for giving chlamydia ...
How can I avoid getting STDs during oral sex?
Although unprotected oral sex is presumably safer than unprotected anal sex or vaginal intercourse, ...
Which questions should I ask my doctor about gonorrhea?
Review the following questions about gonorrhea so you're prepared to discuss this important health i...
Dr. Diane Harper - How Are Human Papillomaviruses (HPV) Infections Detected?