How common is trichomoniasis in women?

About 3.7 million people have trichomoniasis, according to the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). In the United States, about 3% of women are infected. Among women infected with other sexually transmitted diseases (STDs), such as gonorrhea, the rate of trichomoniasis is higher.

For reasons not entirely clear, black women are five to 10 times more likely have trichomoniasis than Hispanic or white women. Lack of access to medical care in economically challenged communities may play a role.

Continue Learning about STDs

Undiagnosed Chlamydia
Undiagnosed Chlamydia
The extra fun of sex comes along with the risk of transmitting a virus or bacteria --known as an STD (or sexually transmitted disease) -- during the a...
How should I talk to my kids about sexually transmitted diseases (STDs)?
When you compare teens from developed countries, Americans have the highest rate of sexually transmi...
What are the symptoms of gonorrhea in women?
When symptoms of gonorrhea occur in infected females, they often are mild. Increased vaginal dischar...
Dr. Diane Harper - What are the symptoms of human papillomavirus (HPV)?