How does chlamydia affect newborns?

A small percentage of pregnant females are infected with chlamydia. In pregnant females, untreated chlamydia has been associated with pre-term delivery. Transmission to the newborn results from exposure to the mother's infected cervix during birth.

Infants with chlamydia infection may also experience eye inflammation (conjunctivitis) and breathing problems. Chlamydia infection also can involve the oropharynx, genital tract and rectum. Infection sometimes can cause pneumonia during an infant's first months. Recommended treatment for neonatal chlamydia is erythromycin base divided in four daily doses for 14 days. All females should be screened for chlamydia as part of routine prenatal care.

Continue Learning about STDs

Can a pelvic exam help screen for sexually transmitted diseases (STD)?
Sometimes a sexually transmitted disease (STD) will cause abnormalities that can be seen on a pelvic...
What does my partner need to know if I have chlamydia?
In general, treatment for chlamydia is recommended for any partner or partners you have had sexual c...
How safe is treatment for gonorrhea during pregnancy?
According to the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), an estimated 13,200 pregnant...
What are the statistics of sexually transmitted infection (STI) in U.S?
Angela LoweryAngela Lowery
The current statistics of sexually transmitted infections in the U.S. are, 19 million new STI infect...