How long does the trichomoniasis infection stay in your body?

Patricia Geraghty, NP
Women's Health
Trichomoniasis is an infection of the genitals, the vagina in a woman or the penis in a man, by a single cell organism. It can live idefinitely in these areas of the body unless appropriately treated. Fortunately, there are very effective antibiotics that will cure this infection. The first choice of treatment is simply taking 2 grams of metronidazole (brand name Flagyll) or tinidazole (brand name Tindamax) in a single dose.

Continue Learning about STDs

Dr. Diane Harper - How is the HPV virus contracted?
Dr. Diane Harper - What are the symptoms of human papillomavirus (HPV)?
Dr. Diane Harper - What are the treatment options for human papillomavirus (HPV) infection?
Dr. Diane Harper - Could I have human papillomavirus (HPV) even if my pap test was normal?