Does chlamydia affect men differently than women?

Dr. Jeanne Morrison, PhD

Chlamydia affects men and women in slightly different ways. The location of the infection and its symptoms may vary. Both men and women may develop chlamydia in the rectum, and, less commonly, the throat and eyes. In men, the urethra may become infected and cause symptoms like discharge from the tip of the penis and painful urination. In women, the urethra and cervix may become infected and can cause vaginal discharge, and painful or frequent urination. Also, the complications of chlamydia may vary depending on your sex. If chlamydia is left untreated, men may experience severe infections, and women can develop pelvic inflammatory disease (PID), complications with pregnancy, and possibly infertility.

Continue Learning about STDs

Which health problems can result from untreated chlamydia?
Riverside Health SystemRiverside Health System
Like the disease itself, the damage chlamydia causes is often "silent." For women, untreated chlamy...
What are the statistics of sexually transmitted infection (STI) in U.S?
Angela LoweryAngela Lowery
The current statistics of sexually transmitted infections in the U.S. are, 19 million new STI infect...
Dr. Diane Harper - Could I have human papillomavirus (HPV) even if my pap test was normal?
Dr. Diane Harper - What are the symptoms of human papillomavirus (HPV)?