Do vaginal contraceptives containing nonoxynol-9 help prevent STDs?

Over-the-counter vaginal contraceptives that contain the spermicide nonoxynol-9 include a warning label from the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) stating that vaginal contraceptives containing nonoxynol-9 do not protect against infection from human immunodeficiency virus (HIV) or other sexually transmitted diseases (STDs).

The FDA's warning also advises consumers that the use of vaginal contraceptives containing nonoxynol-9 can increase vaginal irritation, which may increase the possibility of transmitting HIV and other STDs from infected partners. If you decide to use a spermicide along with a condom, it is preferable to use spermicide in the vagina according to manufacturer's instructions.

Continue Learning about STDs

Is it Healthy to Groom the Hair Down There?
One of the most famous point-shaving scandals of all time involved a handful of underworld bookies, gangsters, and the 1978–79 Boston College basketba...
How does chlamydia affect newborns?
A small percentage of pregnant females are infected with chlamydia. In pregnant females, untreated c...
How should I talk to my kids about sexually transmitted diseases (STDs)?
Terrie WatkinsTerrie Watkins
Along with the "Birds and the Bees" discussion must come information about transmission and preventi...
Dr. Diane Harper - What are the treatment options for human papillomavirus (HPV) infection?