Question

STDs

Can chlamydia be spread through oral sex?

• Chlamydia is a sexually transmitted disease, which means it can be spread through any type of sex, including oral sex. It's less common for a chlamydial infection to develop in the throat, but it may be possible through oral sex. The infection is caused by bacteria that are spread from person to person through direct contact. If any fluid that contains the bacteria comes into contact with another person, it's possible for the bacteria to spread. This is why it's important to practice safe sex by using a condom and to be aware of any sex partners' sexual history.

• A Dr. Angela Lowery, DNP, Family Medicine, answered
    Yes, chlamydia can be spread through oral sex. Oral sex involves the exchange of body fluids. Men performing oral sex on women should use a dental dam or heavy plastic for protection. If your significant other is a male you should use a condom before performing oral sex.
Can I get chlamydia again even if I've already had it once?