Can chlamydia be spread through oral sex?

Chlamydia is a sexually transmitted disease, which means it can be spread through any type of sex, including oral sex. It's less common for a chlamydial infection to develop in the throat, but it may be possible through oral sex. The infection is caused by bacteria that are spread from person to person through direct contact. If any fluid that contains the bacteria comes into contact with another person, it's possible for the bacteria to spread. This is why it's important to practice safe sex by using a condom and to be aware of any sex partners' sexual history.

Angela Lowery
Family Medicine
Yes, chlamydia can be spread through oral sex. Oral sex involves the exchange of body fluids. Men performing oral sex on women should use a dental dam or heavy plastic for protection. If your significant other is a male you should use a condom before performing oral sex.

Continue Learning about STDs

Undiagnosed Chlamydia
Undiagnosed Chlamydia
The extra fun of sex comes along with the risk of transmitting a virus or bacteria --known as an STD (or sexually transmitted disease) -- during the a...
What does my partner need to know if I have chlamydia?
In general, treatment for chlamydia is recommended for any partner or partners you have had sexual c...
What is the latest research on gonorrhea?
In terms of gonorrhea research, scientists have determined the sequence of the Neisseria gonorrhoeae...
Dr. Diane Harper - What are the symptoms of human papillomavirus (HPV)?