Can syphilis cause permanent damage?

Most people who are treated for syphilis in its early stages don't have any permanent symptoms. However, if syphilis is left untreated, it may cause severe permanent damage. If syphilis advances to its third stage, it may cause damage to the heart, brain, and spinal cord. Even if itapos;s treated at that stage, treatment can stop the infection from progressing but it canapos;t reverse the damage already done. Because of this, itapos;s important to talk to your doctor as soon as you notice symptoms to reduce your risk of permanent damage.

Continue Learning about STDs

What to Do When You Get an STD
What to Do When You Get an STD
In 2012, an Oregon woman who sued her date for giving her genital herpes won $900,000. And one tycoon allegedly paid $52 million for giving chlamydia ...
How do sexually transmitted infections (STI) affect pregnancy?
Angela LoweryAngela Lowery
Sexually transmitted infections can affect pregnancy by causing early labor and the water to break. ...
Which questions should I ask my doctor about chlamydia?
Review the following questions about chlamydia so you're prepared to discuss this important health i...
Dr. Diane Harper - How is the HPV virus contracted?