Can syphilis cause permanent damage?

Diana Meeks
Diana Meeks on behalf of Sigma Nursing

Most people who are treated for syphilis in its early stages don't have any permanent symptoms. However, if syphilis is left untreated, it may cause severe permanent damage. If syphilis advances to its third stage, it may cause damage to the heart, brain, and spinal cord. Even if itapos;s treated at that stage, treatment can stop the infection from progressing but it canapos;t reverse the damage already done. Because of this, itapos;s important to talk to your doctor as soon as you notice symptoms to reduce your risk of permanent damage.

Continue Learning about STDs

What questions should I ask my doctor about trichomoniasis?
Review the following questions about trichomoniasis so you're prepared to discuss this important hea...
Can a pelvic exam help screen for sexually transmitted diseases (STD)?
Sometimes a sexually transmitted disease (STD) will cause abnormalities that can be seen on a pelvic...
Dr. Diane Harper - Could I have human papillomavirus (HPV) even if my pap test was normal?
Dr. Diane Harper - What are the symptoms of human papillomavirus (HPV)?