Can a sexually transmitted infection be easily cured through medicine?

Joseph Miccoli
Family Medicine

Most STI are curable through medications such as antibiotics. Most times the antibiotics that are given are aimed at covering infections that commonly occur together.

Some STI's that are viral in nature, the treatment is aimed at supression rather than cure. Herpes II is treated with antivirals that are taken at the first sign of an outbreak and HIV is treated to keep viral load down while helping the bodys natural defenses up.

No. Viral STIs, such as herpes, hepatitis B, HPV, and HIV can be treated to relieve symptoms and slow infection progression, but the infection will never be cured. STIs such as chlamydia, syphilis, and gonorrhea that are caused by bacteria, protozoa, and other small organisms can be cured with antibiotics or topical creams/lotions. However,"curable" means that the progression of the infection can be stopped; the damage already done to your body can't be reversed.

Our Bodies, Ourselves: A New Edition for a New Era

America's best-selling book on all aspects of women's health With more than four million copies sold, "Our Bodies, Ourselves" is "the" classic resource that women of all ages can turn to for...

Continue Learning about STDs

Is it Healthy to Groom the Hair Down There?
One of the most famous point-shaving scandals of all time involved a handful of underworld bookies, gangsters, and the 1978–79 Boston College basketba...
What increases my risk of getting a sexually transmitted disease?
Bonnie Lynn Wright, PhDBonnie Lynn Wright, PhD
Being sexually active puts you at risk of being exposed to sexually transmitted infections. Period. ...
What are the statistics of sexually transmitted infection (STI) in U.S?
Angela LoweryAngela Lowery
The current statistics of sexually transmitted infections in the U.S. are, 19 million new STI infect...
Dr. Diane Harper - Could I have human papillomavirus (HPV) even if my pap test was normal?